Saturday 24 March 2012

What's For Dinner?

Dinner is my favourite meal of the day. I can be so much more creative than with lunch or breakfast and the possibilities are endless. So what's on the menu this week?

Making chili tonight. It's not really a "chili" kind of day outside today (all sunny and spring-like) but chili is good all the time. Chock full of peppers (a great use for a poblano) and onions and meat (no beans here). Yum! 
For some reason, my mouth really, really wants Kraft Dinner and meatballs, so I'm making that probably tomorrow. I found some really yummy Italian meatballs at Superstore and I know they'll go great with good old KD. Sometimes, you've just got to have KD and meatballs.
Other things on the menu: Pad Terr. A delicious combo of chicken and veggies (carrots, onions, peppers, beansprouts, bok choi) stirfried together with teryaki/soy sauce and wide Thai rice noodles. Not really a "classic" Pad Thai, but great flavours.
Craving spaghetti too. Classic spaghetti with meat sauce. I bought some ground sirloin instead of just lean ground beef (and the price was comparable) and I just know it's going to be good. They key to a really good tomato meat sauce is adding a teensy bit of white sugar. The sugar cuts some of the acidity/bitterness of the tomatoes and balances everything out quite nicely. The other trick is to use whole wheat pasta. It makes firmer pasta and the flavour is nice and earthy - you can eat less to feel full.
Parmesan chicken strips are on the menu too (check out the featured recipes section for the recipe). They're juicy, tender and crispy with just the right amount of saltiness. Serve with a big Caesar salad.
And lastly, pita pizzas (see today's featured recipe). The thin pitas give a nice crispy crust. My favourite combination is pepperoni, green pepper and red onion, but you can use any pizza toppings you like. I also spoiled myself and bought Kraft pre-shredded Pizza Cheese (mozzarella, provolone and cheddar) because it is just that good.

I hope this inspires you and gets those creative juices flowing!

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment