Sunday 11 December 2011

What's for Dinner?

This week will be a whole bunch of experiments. I'm trying to eat less carbs and it's getting the wheels in my brain turning figuring out what to eat that is delicious and low carb. Here are my attempts for the next little while.

Roasted tomato and pepper soup with chicken and parmesan. I was inspired by a recipe I saw for roasted vegetable gazpacho, but I'm not into the cold soup thing, so I'm going to keep it hot and add cooked chicken and parmesan cheese for texture. Sounds good in my head anyway.
Spaghetti squash (which is not my favourite food, but I'm sure I can come to love it) and serve it like spaghetti with a shallots and tomatoes with steak strips (shallots are kinda like a cross between garlic and a red onion, with a milder flavour than a red onion).
I'm also going to attempt to make coconut pork with bean noodles. I found a recipe for the coconut pork made with coconut milk and it looks good (with a few amendments of course - it calls for peas and neither my hubby nor I are big fans of peas in things and I'm going to add bok choi and green onions). A friend introduced me to bean noodles, which are similar to rice vermicelli but are made from bean and pea starch instead of rice and they turn clear when they're cooked, not opaque like rice noodles.
I will be making past one day this week because sometimes you just need pasta (and the hubby goes a bit batty if he doesn't get pasta regularly). I'm making chicken carbonara pasta with bacon on whole wheat rotini (the big spirals). If you're not already on board with whole wheat pasta, you really should give it a try. It is way more filling than regular pasta, it has a great cooked texture and the flavour is really nice.
It's winter and nothing goes better in the winter than a hearty beef stew with big chunks of meat, carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes....I'm salivating just thinking about it.
Lastly, parmesan chicken with caesar salad. I'm going to "bread"the chicken with grated parmesan and bake it like chicken strips. It will feel like "cheating" but it won't be!

I've also started my Christmas baking, which will be a test of my willpower. Tonight was Chocolate Toffee Bars (shortbread crust, sweetened condensed milk caramel, chocolate, topped with Skor toffee bits. Yum!

Hope you've enjoyed reading. You can wipe the drool of your screen now.

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment