Saturday 1 October 2011

What's for Dinner?

Have I mentioned how much I love food? I LOVE food! Dinner is my favourite meal of the day and I spend most afternoons dreaming about dinner for that night. And I love to cook. It relieves stress and I love coming up with new recipes and flavour combinations. Pretty much my favourite thing.

A couple of years ago, I started doing something I swore I'd never do: I plan my meals for the week ahead of time. I always thought it would be so boring if you knew ahead of time what you were going to eat all week, but really, it is awesome. It helps control my grocery budget and I know what I need to take out of the freezer to thaw the night before. I have these little magnetic white boards that I put on the fridge and I write the menu on them. One of the best decisions I've made. You can't believe how much less I spend on groceries and how fewer trips I make to the store.

So, with that, here's the menu. Yesterday was Chicken Enchiladas (yes, the very same ones that are an earlier featured recipe). I found really nice poblano peppers at the grocery store. They have this great smoky flavour and just a teeny little bit of heat (less than a banana pepper) that compliment the smoky cumin and chipotle chili powder. A little taste of Mexico.
Tonight is Pita Pizzas. It's the season opener tonight for my favourite NHL hockey team against my husband's favourite team and that calls for pizza. Using pitas creates a nice crispy thin crust and you can top them with anything you like. Our favourite combination is pepperoni, green pepper and shallot (or red onion) and Monterrey Jack cheese. Delish!
Tomorrow is spaghetti with meat sauce. Simple and classic. We use whole wheat pasta - not only does it have a great taste, but you eat less because it is more filling. The only time I use regular white pasta is when I make lasagne or the late nights when we make KD.
Monday is Quinoalaya (jambalaya made with quinoa instead of rice). Since introducing my husband to quinoa, he can't seem to get enough. It is not as filling as brown rice, but is so good.
Tuesday is pork tacos. This is my cheap out night. I bought a taco kit so all I needed was the ground pork. I usually make them with beef but thought I'd try something different this time and we try not to eat beef more than once or twice a week.
Wednesday is leftover spaghetti. I go walking or swimming every Wednesday andI just don't have much time to make something from scratch.

That's about it for now.
Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment