Thursday 13 October 2011

What's for Dinner?

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet because dinner is in the oven as we speak! Tonight is Mexican Lasagne (which is essentially baked fajita casserole, but it's way more fun to call it Mexican Lasagne [much like my love for Greek "tacos"]). I tired something new tonight and I grilled the tortillas (used instead of lasagne noodles) before I assembled the layers. hopefully this will end up less soggy than previous incarnations. Another key here is chipotle chili powder, if you can find it. Just a pinch gives it a great smoky flavour with a bit of a kick. I know Epicure sells it, if you know anyone who sells Epicure.

I want to comment on my pork tacos from last week - I am not sure I will ever make tacos with beef again. The combo of the tex-mex spices with the pork was really quite a flavour explosion. Quite Awesome.

The rest of this week was a little boring: The Quinoalaya I didn't end up making last week, plus whole wheat penne with meat sauce. I found this really incredible imported Italian pasta at the grocery store in town (no English on the package) and you get better quality and more in the package and it's cheaper than Catelli. Sounds like a no-brainer to me

We have a bunch of leftovers, which is good on a budget. I have taken to making large batches of stuff, and then freezing to have at a later date. I know I'm a little bit late on jumping on that train, but it totally works if you're trying to save on groceries. Who knew?

Oh, and I need to express my love for homemade chocolate chip cookies, especially when they stay soft and moist. Thank you recipe on the back of the Bakers milk chocolate chips bag.

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment